On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 10:27:24AM +1100, Damian Conway wrote:
: Austin Hastings wrote:
:
: >Request: Change .req method of Routine to .arity
:
: I rather like this idea.

I'm not attached to ".req".  But ".arity" will be opaque to many
non-mathematicians.  Plus, it's throwing out "minimum" part of the
notion "minimum number of arguments".  So if you want something longer
I would be happy with ".minargs" or ".reqargs" or some such.

But a ".maxargs" seems rather less useful, unless you know the types
of all the optional parameters, in which case you probably know how
many optional parameters have been declared in any event.

On the other hand, I could see an argument that said anyone who
doesn't know what .arity means shouldn't be writing routines that
depend on it...

Larry