--- Steffen Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Damian Conway wrote:
> > Larry wrote:
> >
> >> On the other hand, I could see an argument that said anyone who
> >> doesn't know what .arity means shouldn't be writing routines that
> >> depend on it...
>
> > That was more or less my line of thought.
>
> Now, I think I'll dare claim my English is not exactly bad for a 21
> year-old non-native speaker. Being a physics and CS student, I do
> also have mathematical background, but it still took me a few seconds
> to figure out "arity" *in this context*. Maybe that's because I can't
> think of an exact German equivalent either; maybe it's because I
don't
> think a function's arity is quite the same as it's *minimum* number
of
> parameters? I mean, it makes sense in a functional language... but
> you don't have functions with a variable number of arguments there.

(Your English sounds pretty darned good to me. :)

> To cut this short: I think req or reqargs or somesuch would be
> better. Why choose the method names that sound more like computer
> science for the very sake of that?

FWIW, I'm a CS professional with an appalling lack of mathematical
background (though I scored above the math average for Engineers on my
GRE, and didn't miss any of the logic questions). I'd never *heard* of
"arity", but tend to use esoteric language attributes rather often
(which is not a boast -- it's a rather bad habit, but there it is).

Anyway, I like writing functions and methods that DWIM, but sometimes
WIM takes some doing. I'd rather have a name that means something to
me, too.... though to be honest, "arity" would mean something to me, if
someone would just explain it, lol....

Paul