On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 13:23, Johan Vromans wrote:
> "Gregor N. Purdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > ... that I would be perfectly happy to be required to start all my
> > Perl 6 programs with "#!/usr/bin/perl6" instead of
> > "#!/usr/bin/perl",
>
> Ten years ago I was perfectly happy to start all my perl programs with
> /usr/bin/perl5. Today, I would be quite unhappy if I *still* needed to
> do it that way.

Of course, and you should not have to. That's why, in absence of any
other tricks, "perl" would try to figure out what you meant to do, but
you CAN be explicit.

I would not be happy about the long-term re-naming of the perl binary,
because that entrenches "perl6" as the name of a program (ask the old
gcc 2.0 guys why that's a bad idea...), but if that's just one of
several options (like my current "/usr/bin/perl5.8.3"), then it seems
like a good thing.

I'll probably continue to write:

        #!/usr/bin/perl
        use 6;

and add:

        use 5;

to my existing Perl 5 programs that I don't have time to convert. That
doesn't mean it's the only way to do it.

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith