I don't mind if you implement this ".dbi" feature though, I just want it to be invisible :) i.e. don't check this file, if I explicitly supply username and password (this is obvious, right?) and show some warnings if don't. Say, make a connect parameter "use_dot_dbi", which is zero by default.

I concur. I've been presuming what they are talking about is a standard implementation for those that want to use that sort of feature. Not a default implementation that everyone should use.

So "if you want to use database config files, we've got a standard way"

Adam K