On 10/20/05, Steve Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have some serious concerns about using Latin-1 sigils within Perl 6 and
> the ASCII multi-character aliases.  Am I not understanding something that
> I should see this as an advantage?

I had the same concern a few months back. I've come to see the light
in this fashion:
    1) more and more Perl programmers come from non-English countries.
Heck, the Pugs effort is at least 50% non-US, if not more. None of the
are on US soil and very few of the leaders are US citizens.
    2) More and more of us are programming with internationalization
(i18n) in mind. Just recently, I had to edit french text within the
templates of an app I work on. If you haven't already, you will be
doing so in the near future, within the next 3 years.
    3) Every editor (with very few exceptions) can display Latin-1
and, with a few more exceptions, can input Latin-1. If your favorite
editor cannot, then that's something to bring up with the authors.

    Windows ... yeah. As you pointed out, the old joke goes "Doctor,
it hurts when I use Windows . . . then, don't use Windows!" With the
availability of dual-booting into FreeBSD/Linux (given the
near-complete migration of all the necessary Office products) and both
gvim and emacs having been successfully ported to WIn32, there is a
way to do it. gvim on WinXP will do all Latin-1 charset with the vim
keys. (I don't know about emacs, but I'd be shocked if it didn't.) If
your IT department's policy is rigid, a quick discussion with your
manager's manager will solve that problem immediately. Or, the cost of
a few lunches with your favorite IT person will exempt your computer
from the nightly audit. ($50 goes a long way ...)

    Personally, I plan on using every single Latin-1 operator I am
given access to. All the cool kids will ...

Rob