On 8/10/06, Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes, it's a design smell.  The point of core is to huffman code common
things, so something in core with _ should normally either be shorter
or out of the core.

Would it be adequate  to say "think hard about keeping core names
concise, but prefer clarity to conciseness when they're mutually
exclusive"?  Have I just said the same thing you did above?

If I need to use
core_function_for_enabling_extremely_convenient_unified_process five
hundred times a day, how hard is it for me to alias it to coffeecup?
(Of course, if everyone thinks coffeecup is the obvious choice, then
that's a better candidate for the core name, but if only a subset
think coffeecup is valid, then they might choose an alternate Huffman
code.)

--
Regards,
Charles Bailey