On 2008-01-26 Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Last night I got a message entitled: "yum: 1 Updates Available".
> [snip a lot]
> I think that probably handles most of the Indo-European cases, and
> anything more complicated can revert to explicit code.  (Or go though
> a localization dictionary...)

Please don't put this in the language. The problem is harder than it
seems (there are European languages that pluralize differently on $X %
10, IIRC; 0 is singular or plural depending on the language, etc etc).

Look at the documentation of GNU gettext, or the translation
guidelines for KDE, to get the whole mess.

We already have Locale::MakeText. To get the whole "magical
interpolation", we'd just have to define a suitable quoting construct,
right?

I know Perl is not "minimal", but sometimes I feel that it will end up
being "maximal"... and the more you put "in the core", the less
flexibility you get in the long term.

--
        Dakkar - <Mobilis in mobile>
        GPG public key fingerprint = A071 E618 DD2C 5901 9574

printk("%s: Boo!\n", dev->name);
        linux-2.6.19/drivers/net/depca.c