On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:58:43AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
> Last night I got a message entitled: "yum: 1 Updates Available".
> Of course, that's probably just a Python programmer giving up on doing
> the right thing, but we see this sort of bletcherousness all the time.
>
> Any other cute ideas?

It's worth reading the perldoc for Locale::Maketext and
Locale::Maketext::TPJ13.  Sean Burke did some truly excellent work
explain a lot of the pitfalls here. Sean built us the only solution I've
yet seen that gets pluralization reasonably ok in languages with
non-English-like pluralization rules without making me want to just give
up and write "Updates found: 1" ;)

-j