Timothy S. Nelson wrote [on p6l]:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
Alternatively, if we stay away from animals, then how about something to do with parallelism, or super-positioning, or even a strange attractor, since perl6 can be strange and yet it is attractive.

Ok, I've attached a logo mockup of lazy, (supposedly) parallel lions that are strangely attracted to each other. Think of this logo mockup as a wiki -- feel free to hack on it, especially if you can get the lions to be hubristically superpositioned while also remaining parallel and attracted.

Or, if we made the magnetic lines of force hexagonal (inspired by Conrad Schneiker), and superpositioned (ie. superimposed) the whole thing over the Parrot logo, that would be kinda cool. Although if we keep going like this, the logo will look like a Graeme Base picture.

If you're going for sciencey or mathey illustrations, then I think its important to include something that speaks quantum physics in there, since quantum superpositions aka Junctions are one of the big central user features that Perl 6 provides which is relatively new to languages in general.

For example, one particularly iconic illustration is the cat in the sealed box with poison and a Geiger counter, aka Schrödinger's cat.

Or rather than images of an alive and dead cat superimposed, you could have images of other mutually exclusive things superimposed.

And depending on what things you choose, then those items can pull multiple-duty as other symbols (a boon to a logo); eg, those 2 lions, depending how you look at it, could be either powerful/lazy, or alive/dead. Mind you, you don't want to go too far away such that it isn't easy to perceive the quantum interpretation without being told it is there.

On a related matter, remember that when going for a logo you don't want to make it *too* complicated. With symbols, often less is more. And also we probably want something that will work scaled up or down. It should certainly look good as black and white line-art. I know they are more examples, but some things I saw suggested looked a bit too complicated. On the other hand, arguably the gimel is too simple. But I'm sure something good can be worked out.

-- Darren Duncan