At 9:27 -0400 2000.09.12, Ben Tilly wrote:
>You are clearly not reading closely.  My statement several times
>now is that I don't care what you do if you don't call it perl,
>and I have even given examples (oraperl and perlex) of people
>who did exactly that.

   print "I don't get it ...\n" if "perl" ne "perlex" && "perl" ne "oraperl";

>> >And I don't want your extension to wind
>> >up in due course of time under a license which leaves you
>> >with essentially absolute control.
>>
>>If someone wants to take the source to perl and make something not called
>>perl and make it totally incompatible with perl and somewhat proprietary
>>... *shrug*.
>
>Where have I said anything indicating that this is a problem?

I thought the point of this discussion was to bring up problems with the
AL.  If you wish to discuss something that is not a problem with the AL,
then alert me, so I can ignore it.

>>Why don't you just use the GPL?  That's what I don't understand.
>
>It looks like you are talking to that straw-man again.

What straw man?  You have said some things indicating a preference for
copyleft-style features, so I am asking you why you don't just use the GPL.
It is, I think, a reasonable question.

>Just in case you sincerely meant that question, here is a
>sincere answer.
>
>    This list is for discussions of Perl licensing.  We

But this discussion is about a rewrite of the AL, not necessarily related
to perl itself.

>    wish to come up with an acceptable licensing scheme
>    for Perl.  Perl is used within a number of products
>    which are not compatible with the GPL, and people
>    want to continue to allow this.  Therefore the GPL
>    on its own is not an acceptable license.

But wouldn't it be the case that if you were required to make any released
changes to perl available for inclusion into perl, that you would run into
some of the same problems that people have with the GPL?

>    The guidance we have for that something else is that
>    previous Larry made it clear that he wants to keep
>    some sort of artistic control over Perl, but doesn't
>    want to impose any other restrictions.  The wording
>    he came up with is the current AL.

Yes, but allowing other people to release separate modifications does not
affect his artistic control over perl.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/