Andy> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, David Cantrell wrote:
>> I wonder how many people really use the HTML-generating bits of CGI.pm?

Andy> I'd guess a lot, since they are prominently documented in the CGI.pm
Andy> documentation and are used extensively throughout many of the examples
Andy> there.  It would be quite natural for anyone who learned to use
Andy> CGI.pm by reading its documentation to use those bits.  Also, a simple
Andy> Google search for them turns up lots and lots of hits.

>> I know I never have, nor have they been used that I can remember
>> anywhere that I've worked, or in any of the non-work projects I've
>> collaborated in.  It's always been 'print "<HTML>"' or more recently
>> using a templating language like TT.

Andy> Yep, I'm sure there's a lot of that too.

The thing that CGI.pm does is put in one place everything you need for a
simple web form.  And there's an amazing number of applications for
this... putting a "contact us" page on an otherwise static site comes to mind
immediately.

Sure, if you're building a complex shopping cart application, you're gonna
reach for Jifty or Catalyst, or at least roll your own with Template Toolkit
or Mason, and you'd be silly to use either CGI.pm's parsing or HTML generation
in those cases.

But don't throw out the simplicity of CGI.pm's basic task handling: parsing
the incoming parameters (including file upload), and generating sticky forms
and other common HTML elements.