On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Moritz Lenz <mor...@faui2k3.org> wrote:

> We can't be everybody's darling, as much as we would love to.

That's a fair statement, however do consider that perl5 is still a
darling for many system administrators and command-line warriors who
have long since left awk and sed far behind and never looked back.  In
this use case, perl5 still rules, and I would suspect that you
wouldn't want to simply throw away these users.  My (admittedly
limited) experience with rakudo leads me to believe that the one-liner
or power-tool usage we've come to expect with perl5 may simply not
exist in perl6.

[frank@zino00 ~]$ echo "a b c" | perl -lane 'print $F[1]'
[frank@zino00 ~]$ echo "a b c" | perl6 -lane 'print $F[1]'
===SORRY!===
Unable to open filehandle from path '-lane'
[frank@zino00 ~]$ echo "a b c" | perl -pe 's/b/BEE/ if /^a/'
a BEE c
[frank@zino00 ~]$ echo "a b c" | perl6 -pe 's/b/BEE/ if /^a/'
===SORRY!===
Unable to open filehandle from path '-pe'

These are the kinds of things I do every single day many times per day
without a second thought.  It would be a shame IMO if I couldn't
continue to use perl6 in such a fashion.  Just my own 2 cents.
Thanks.

--frank