Hi,

On 02/04/2016 01:44 PM, Brock Wilcox wrote:
If my understanding is correct (might not be), the tarball should be
ALMOST equivalent to:

     rakudobrew build moar 2016.01.1     # Install rakudo 2016.01.1
     rakudobrew global 2016.01.1         # Make this the default
     rakudobrew build panda              # Build panda for this rakudo
     panda install Task::Star            # Get the latest Task::Star,
needs --force to do again

I just did these steps on my Debian machine with no problems.

The main issue I can think of is the last step -- installing Task::Star
installs the current version of all the packages, whereas the tarball
rakudo-star release includes a specific version of each of the Star
modules. If someone updates SVG then this will get the LATEST, not the
one in the official release. I think this is a weakness of the
versioning system -- ideally you'd be able to do something like "panda
install Task::Star=2016.01" and get the exact same thing.

I see Moritz replied to this also saying that the tarball is the way to
go. I'd love to know what I'm missing out on by doing it this way.

Exactly what you speculated above.

The correct approach would be to have releases from each module, and depend on these versions, and then one could make a Task::Star release that depends on these specific versions.

Cheers,
Moritz