On 2019-02-02 7:22 PM, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users wrote:
I need to read a file into a buffer (NO CONVERSIONS!)
and then convert it to a string (again with no
conversions).

I think you're making an impossible request. If preserving exact bytes is important, then you want to keep your data in a type that represents a sequence of bytes, such as Blob of Buf. A Str represents a sequence of characters, which are NOT bytes, so if you're wanting to have a Str that is saying you don't care about the bytes. Given what you keep saying, I'd say skip the Str and just use Buf or Blob etc full stop. -- Darren Duncan