On 10/23/22 15:14, Ralph Mellor wrote:
On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 1:18 AM ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
<perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

Which goes back to my question.  What is the last one they published that
supports Windows 7?

I would say there isn't one, where "supports" is a present tense meaning.

Your question is analogous to asking what is the last book published
that contains a poem we know Queen Elizabeth II of England reads
aloud each Sunday. There is no such book even if there was one a
couple years ago, and even if we've still got that book on our
bookshelves. Why? Because she recently passed away.

More concretely, if a problem arises with a Rakudo or Raku program,
and it's running on a Windows 7 system, then core Raku devs are
all but obliged to steer clear of suggesting there is any support of
any nature whatsoever. Because if a platform vendor has officially
withdrawn support then all vendors targeting that platform must also
realistically withdraw *their* support too, at least "officially", and, imo,
in practice too.

If anyone is crazy enough to tell you or your customers they've your
back, or their back, for support of any sort on an unsupported platform,
it's important to recognize that legally, and business insurance wise,
you'll be on your own unless you have some explicit legal cover for
that situation.

Just my 2c but I wasn't sure if you understood why folk were being
more than reticent to suggest there's more support than was stated.

--
love, raiph

Hi Raiph,

I am a consultant to small business
that can not afford their own I.T. staff.

Keep in mind that I work for the customer,
not the software vendor.  If a vendor pulls
some shenanigans (M$ comes to mind) or
abandons software that hurts my
customer, then I will bend over backward
to make them whole again.  I am known for it.

Now there are instances when for technical,
security, or  legal issues that a customer
needs to be on a supported operating system.
I will advice and support them on that too.
PCI (Payment [credit] Card Industry) is an
example, which I also consult on.  (And you
thought all I did was device stupid questions
to ask you guys.)

AND these guys pay I price
for getting on M$'s supported OS treadmill:
crashed system from bad updates comes to mind
(I rescue them).  (Point of sale software or
any other software requiring high security
and/or high reliability should not be on Windows.
But it is what it is.   I recommend Fedora
running SELinux for such.)

Oh by the way, with Windows, you have to pay
attention to the end-of-life with their
"builds".  They go out of support pretty
quickly.  And updating to the most recent
build risks you corruptions and downtime
and financial harm.

And don't get me started on M$'s hardware
shenanigans with Windows-Chrome Book
Edition (W11). (I rescue folks for that too.
Anyone need this information, write me off
line and I will send you my notes.)

I had one customer about five years ago
that had about 40 industrial sewing machines
ganged together to simultaneously sew tee
shirts and hats.  The machine's manufacturer
was way out of business.  Problem, they
all ran off a DOS computer that was dilapidated.
No one would work on it (more interested
in what the queen's lunch was, no doubt)
until she found me.  I fix it for her and got
her back up and running.  The cost of replacing
her machines would have been in the millions of
dollars and would have put her out of business.

When customers need to run older machines, I
tell them they have to have spares for everything
and have copies of their software and keys too.
They have to become their own support system.
It requires them to make a few trips to the
used computer store, etc..

When customer need to run older machines/software,
I work with them.  When they need to be on
supported systems, I also work with them.
It all depends on the customer's needs.

Now a question for you.  What exactly did the
queen eat for breakfast?  There is a rumor
going around these parts that she died.

:-)

-T