"Professional modification" (editing/improvement/adaptation) of entries from
one (or preferably, several) dictionary sources CAN create an entirely new
copyright!

How else would major dictionaries for many European languages (let me cite
the German "Duden" as an example) still be published with relatively recent
copyright messages, although the original authors have been dead for more
than 100 years (or more)?

What's more, the same (i.e., "professional modification") happens also with
recently published dictionaries. The rule is: use several sources, compile
them, compare them, edit them, (quote them, if you want), and CLAIM a new
copyright until someone comes who can prove the contrary. This implies of
course that the burden of proof lies on the claimant. In most cases, legal
costs involved would not justify the claim.

Another tricky issue with dictionaries (and copyright laws, in general) is
to define where the limit to the right of free citation lies.

Just a few thoughts why things happen that may appear strange at a first
glance...

Peter