Hi Connie,

Seems like I still should clarify some things for you :).

First one is the concept of an abbreviation:  I'm strongly with
the idea that a single letter is not called an abbreviation.  I
doubt if anyone disagree on this.

Ok, let's see what we have in English:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, ...
Sun, Mon, Tue, ...
S, M, T, ...

January, February, March, ...
Jan, Feb, Mar, ...
J, F, M, ...

Let's call the first representation the "long form", the second
the "short form", and the third the "letter form".  Now, again, I
doubt if anyone disagree here that the entries in the "short
form" are called abbreviations, neither the "long form", nor the
"letter form".

And where are they used:

* "long form", in long date representations.  Using the usual
sample:  "Tuesday, 21 September 1982".

* "short form", in a compact representation and in width-limited
fields: "Tue, 21 Sep 1982".

* "letter form", used ONLY in a two dimensional representation of
a calendar.  Like this:

           September 1982
        S  M  T  W  T  F  S
                  1  2  3  4
         5  6  7  8  9 10 11
        12 13 14 15 16 17 18
        19 20 21 22 23 24 25
        26 27 28 29 30

Infact, when space allows, a two letter variant looks even
better:

           September 1982
        Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
                  1  2  3  4
         5  6  7  8  9 10 11
        12 13 14 15 16 17 18
        19 20 21 22 23 24 25
        26 27 28 29 30

But you never see: "T, 21 S 1982", do you?  (mister Jones :P).
So, the point is that, the "letter form" (or "biletter form") is
not an abbreviation, and is an straight *mechanical* derivation
of the other forms, to fulfill the space requirements.  Again,
note that it's simply "S", not "S.", ie. no abbreviation.

Now, let's see what we have in Persian:

* "long form", is used exactly as in the English one.

* "short form", we don't have short forms in Persian.  There is
an strong reason for that:  We don't have upper and lower case
letters.  Why can we have these abbreviations in English?
Because "Sat" is completely different from "sat".  But that's not
possible in Persian.  In Persian the only way to make
abbreviations is to pick the first letters of a phrase, like
"h.sh." for "hejrie shamshi".

* "letter form", is again used quite like the English case, ie.
in two dimensional printed calendars, but NOT anywhere else.

So, next time, don't let Roozbeh fool you with sayin those guys
use it in Sharif University :P.  If you find anyone who claims
"letter form" is used in Persian for anything other than what I
described, ..., he's trying to confuse you for sure :P.

Ok, time to go,
--behdad
  behdad.org