Hi Hooman,

Thanks for the question.  I go with "Iranian Islamic Calendar".
I think Primary/Secondary and Solar/Lunar are both very bad
names.  And Islamic makes sense since that's what this calendar
is called in English, so ours is the *Iranian* Islamic Calendar.
And then "Iranian Calendar" and "Iranian Islamic Calendar" should
be clear enough that which one's primary and which secondary.

behdad

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Hooman Mehr wrote:

> Hi Behdad,
>
> I have a question (targeting you and everybody else working on Persian
> locale projects such as .Net)
>
> The lunar Hijri calendar used in Iran is also an official calendar and
> is calculated independent from other Hijri calendars used in other
> islamic countries. It is an important calendar, since it determines
> half of the holidays on our calendar. We also know that it has slightly
> different month lengths than other Hijri calendars.
>
> Are you going to identify and support that calendar as well? Then what
> would you call it in English? The answer to this question may affect
> "Iranian Calendar" term as well.
>
> If you ask me, we can keep "Iranian Calendar" and call the Hijri
> calendar "Iranian Secondary Calendar" or "Iranian Religious Calendar"
> or something like that. I think we should avoid solar / lunar
> designations in the English name to make it more meaningful and less
> confusing for none-Iranians. With the same logic one may suggest using
> "Iranian Primary Calendar" instead of "Iranian Calendar" to emphasize
> the fact that more than one official regional calendar exists in Iran.
>
> My final verdict? I need to sleep on it for a while.
>
> Hooman Mehr
>
> On May 15, 2004, at 2:36 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just trying to close an item in the long open agenda of the list.
> > So we've reached a consensus on using "Iranian Calendar" for the
> > term referring to the solar calendar in action in Tehran, right?
> > So we forget about Jalali name, and call it Iranian Calendar,
> > quite like Chinese, Japanese, and other countries.
> >
> > As for the rules, we at FarsiWeb have found enough evidence that
> > the 2820-year periodic calendar of Birashk.  We will later
> > release the codes for that and replace our different ports.
> >
> > Please send your comments.
> >
> > Hamed, you are supposed to work on this, right?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --behdad
> >   behdad.org

--behdad