Hi Ordak,

This is not a problem in the Unicode Bidi Algorithm, not even in
Microsoft's implementation of the algorithm.  And mirroring seems
to be working quite well.  The problem is in the higher level
protocols of your system, which simply does not recognize
right-to-left paragraphs.

So your "paragraph direction" is left-to-right, and that's why
you see it like that.  Microsoft systems have no way of
auto-detecting paragraph directions.  In notepad you can set the
whole document direction to rtl or ltr.  In MS Word you can set
direction for individual paragraphs.

GNOME has recently applied a marvelous patch to autodetect
paragraph directions in the most sophisticated way, so we're just
having fun with our text editors ;-).

behdad

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Ordak D. Coward wrote:

> I noticed that certain mirrored characters appear semanticly wrong on
> my Windows XP machine. I have no idea if it is a problem of Unicode
> BIDI specs or is due to Windows XP imeplementation. I describe the
> problem here, hoping people who know Unicode better pinpoint the
> source of it.
>
> I if type in: "ØØØ (farsi)", that is the sequence T A R SP ( f a r s i )
> (capital stands for RTL text), the result is RAT (farsi)
>
> However, if I type in "ØØØ (ÙØØØÛ)" that is the sequence T A R SP ( F A R S
> I )
> the result is  ISRAF) RAT)
>
> Obvisouly the parenthesis are wrong in the second example. Now, if
> this is a unicode spec problem, I think they need to fix this. How the
> above text appears on other platforms?

--behdad
  behdad.org