Hi Diana,

I would highly recommend checking with your local Cooperative Extension
office- they're a branch of the USDA. I recently talked to our local
horticulture educator to get a positive beetle larvae ID. They were
extremely helpful and knowledgable about local insects.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Hope that helps!

Hayley Chambers
Historic Adams House Curator