Hi

[moving to the pgadmin-hackers mailing list as this a pgAdmin feature]

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:20 AM, Akshay Joshi <akshay.jo...@enterprisedb.com
> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> Murtuza and I started thinking about "How to add Declarative
> Partitioning" support in pgAdmin4. We thought instead of showing Partition
> Table under existing Tables collection, we should add new collection node
> "Partition Tables". Showing table under the table node recursively will
> require lots of code changes in table and it's child nodes (column, index,
> trigger, etc..) which is more complex and error prone.

Perhaps, but from the user's perspective, there's no reason to list them
separately - they are just tables with a different structure from others.
We shouldn't confuse the user just because it's more convenient for us.

I really think it should look like this:

- Tables
  - t1
    - Columns
    - Constraints
    - Partitions
      - p1
        - Sub Objects (whatever they may be)
      - p2
  - t2

> Below is the design that we can implement:
>
>    - Create new "Partition Tables" collection node. User will be able to
>    create partition table by clicking "Create -> Partition Table" menu that we
>    will add on collection node. We will share the dialog prototype later
>    once we will have complete understanding of it.
>
> Can you share a mock-up of the dialog? The Figma tool that Shirley shared
looks like it'll be good for doing that - I can invite you to the team.

>    - Once table is created user will be able to create partitions by
>    clicking "Create -> Partitions" menu will be added on each partitioned
>    table node. We will share the dialog prototype later once we will have
>    complete understanding of it.
>
> I would expect the user to be able to define the partitioning scheme when
they create the table; e.g. on a new tab. It shouldn't be a two step
process.

>    - We will have to show sub nodes like (column, index, trigger,
>    constraints, etc..) on main table while some of the sub nodes won't require
>    for partitions like (column and many more again require some more knowledge
>    on partitioning).
>
> OK.

> Apart from above we will have to figure out following:
>
>    - How to remove partitions(table) from existing tables node as value
>    of relkind column is 'r' for partitions.
>    - Partitioning scheme to show in SQL pane for partitions.
>    - Some unknown issue/features of Declarative partitioning.
>
> OK.

> The above implementation may take more time, so it might possible that we
> may not be able to finish it by 14th May (deadline).

It would be nice to have it by then, but the true deadline will be a later
beta (TBD, but probably beta 2 which is sufficiently far off).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company