19 maja 2017 12:24 - "Dave Page" <dp...@pgadmin.org>:

> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Tomek <to...@apostata.org> wrote:
>
>> You don't care what You users say about Your software??? That's a nice
>> statement...
>
> Twisting my words is a great way to make your point. Kudos.
>> Twisting... Saying "I'm not going to lose sleep over it" means what - in
>> case of someones concerns?
>
> No, it means I'm not going to lose sleep if someone doesn't like
> pgAdmin, as you cannot please everyone - that's a fact of life. That
> doesn't mean I don't care if users provide useful feedback.

Please understand - this is not about LIKING - this is about missing features
and problems with the
software...

>> I've posted here a list of what is missing/wrong in new pgAdmin - did You
>> even commented on that?
>
> Posted here? The website is quite clear that bugs and feature requests
> should be logged as tickets on our Redmine instance. There is no
> guarantee developers will read every message here.
>> I get the bugtracker - but my first list contains 19 cases (from one day of
>> using) - cases that
>> every other dbms has, and previous version had...
>
> OK, so that means we have to use a different process for you? There
> are very good reasons why we ask people to use the bug tracker - not
> least because it allows us to properly track them.

There are also good reasons not to release aplpa as "pgAdmin 4 is a complete
rewrite of pgAdmin"...
I understand the use of bugtracker - but I hoped that "complete rewrite" will
be complete...

> Feedback along the lines of "It's crap and I hate it" is unhelpful and
> will likely be ignored.
>> Nobody said this - we all gave examples what is wrong with it...
>
> Perhaps you should re-read the thread.

Everyone pointed out something, yes I admit using words like horrible, but
giving a reason why...

>> How 4 is more stable than 3? Please explain it to us...
>
> Because it doesn't crash every 5 minutes? Because it doesn't go nuts
> if it loses an open database connection?
>> That doesn't mean more stable - that means You've fixed the bug (which
>> everybody got used to)...
>
> Not breaking unexpectedly is the very definition of "stable".

This debate is pointless - I can point lot more bugs in v3 but saying 'more
stable' is an
overstatement...

>> In 1.4 - query SELECT 2/0; returns
>> successfully...
>
> Oh? I haven't seen that logged. When I try it, I get the result in the
> attached screenshot.
>> https://ibb.co/eBbtdF
>
> In 1.4?

Yes in 1.4.

>> And please, please explain to us how 'less and slower' is better than 'more
>> and faster'...
>
> The vast majority of the "more" wasn't used by anyone. Did you ever
> create an Operator Class? Or use pgScript for example?
>> Look at the list above...
>
> That doesn't answer or invalidate my question at all.

Missing features does not answer Your question? So according to You nobody uses
features I pointed
out?

> As for the speed, yes, it's a little slower due to the architecture,
> but we're talking fractions of a second (at least on all the machines
> and virtual machines I've tested on). I know I still can't keep up
> with it. The only exception I know of is the query tool with very
> large results sets, which we've been working on and already have a WIP
> patch that makes it ~20x *faster* than pgAdmin 3 in some large test
> cases.
>> I don't see it - I see query that is running 14 seconds in v4 but 3.5
>> seconds in v3, seconds pass
>> before new query tab opens, seconds pass before browse tab opens, click
>> properties count to 10 -
>> properties appear, table properties - You can see switches flipping on
>> columns tab, try moving any
>> window - drags behind mouse, try put back accidentally detached tab, and so
>> on...
>
> With the exception of the query tool, which I noted above, and the
> couple of seconds it takes to initialise, all of the above is so close
> to instant for me that I can't begin to time it.

Same pc, same db, 2 dbms - result are above. Sorry but "works for me" does not
works for me...

>> In v3 3 dbs connected 4 query windows, 2 browse windows: private memory: 35
>> MBytes
>> In v4 1 db connected 1 query window: private memory: 600 MBytes
>> In v4 constant CPU usage around 10% (damn dashboard)
>
> https://www.pgadmin.org/faq/#5
>
> Oh? You have a better idea for something that we wanted to be able to
> run over the web? Java or Flash perhaps?
>> My objection for html is for standalone app - not webapp.
>> You know that every major databases does not use web as primary dbms yes?
>> But even if we use it as
>> a server side only (like phppgadmin) it is still slow...
>
> I'm sorry - I thought we were free to write and give away at no cost
> whatever software we wanted.

As are we free to criticize it...
I asked You several times why did You choose html and now You have pulled - "it
is free so we do
what we want...". So the rest of this discussion is pointless now...

> Seriously, this is Open Source. Contributors work on what they want,
> and clearly (based on the number of contributors we have now) more
> people want to work on newer technology that can be run in multiple
> different modes - and based on the download numbers, most users aren't
> disagreeing with our choices. We could have just quit and gone and
> done something else instead but instead, people have put in well over
> 20,000 hours of effort at this point to give you something for free.

I write software for the living... I choose technology best fitted for
particular case - no because
it is modern/new/popular...
As for downloads - these are probably people like me who after years of feature
lacking pgAdmin3 hoped for something better...

> I'm more than happy to help when bug reports are logged, and to make
> improvements where issues can be demonstrated and reproduced. However,
> if that isn't good enough for you then I'd suggest that maybe you
> would prefer to use an alternative tool.

You must understand one thing - first You stop developing v3, than release
feature stripped v4, than demand to report issue/feature request You already
know it is missing...
Maybe this news for You but people used this software for more than 10 years -
they got used to functionality - what we've expected was improvement (new
features) not regress...

--
Tomek