On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I think a5736bf754c82d8b86674e199e232096c679201d might be dangerous in
> the face of previously corrupted tuple chains and pg_upgraded clusters -
> it can lead to tuples being considered related, even though they they're
> from entirely independent hot chains. Especially when upgrading 9.3 post
> your fix, to current releases.

I think this is a key point.  If the new behavior were merely not
entirely correct, we could perhaps refine it later.  But it's not only
not correct - it actually has the potential to create new problems
that didn't exist before those commits.  And if we release without
reverting those commits then we can't change our mind later.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company