Hi,

On 2017-11-02 13:49:47 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
> > I think the problem is on the pruning, rather than the freezing side. We
> > can't freeze a tuple if it has an alive predecessor - rather than
> > weakining this, we should be fixing the pruning to not have the alive
> > predecessor.
>
> I gave a look at HTSV back then, but I didn't find what the right tweak
> was, but then I only tried changing the return value to DEAD and
> DELETE_IN_PROGRESS; the thought of selecting DEAD or RECENTLY_DEAD based
> on OldestXmin didn't occur to me ... I was thinking that the fact that
> there were live lockers meant that the tuple could not be removed,
> obviously failing to notice that the subsequent versions of the tuple
> would be good enough.

I'll try to write up a commit based on that idea. I think there's some
comment work needed too, Robert and I were both confused by a few
things.
I'm unfortunately travelling atm - it's evening here, and I'll flying
back to the US all Saturday. I'm fairly sure I'll be able to come up
with a decent patch tomorrow, but I'll need review and testing by
others.

> > If the update xmin is actually below the cutoff we can remove the tuple
> > even if there's live lockers - the lockers will also be present in the
> > newer version of the tuple.  I verified that for me that fixes the
> > problem. Obviously that'd require some comment work and more careful
> > diagnosis.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> I'll revert those commits then, keeping the test, and then you can
> commit your change.  OK?

Generally that sounds good - but you can't keep the testcase in without
the new fix - the buildfarm would immediately turn red. I guess the best
thing would be to temporarily remove it from the schedule?

Do we care about people upgrading to unreleased versions? We could do
nothing, document it in the release notes, or ???

Greetings,

Andres Freund