On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:18 AM, David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:

> It copies files that are not replicated from the primary so that a
> primary-style backup is created. Anything that is replicated (which is
> by far the bulk of the data) is copied from the standby.

OK so all data files would be copied from standby. Can you give me an
example of the types of files that need to be copied from primary?

> it's best to archive from the primary so a replication
> failure does not affect your archiving.

Understood, just not something I can change in production primary at the
moment. Hence looking to see about a quick one-off backup from standby.

> Configuring pgBackRest, SSH, standby, and backup from standby are all
> covered in the user guide.

Thanks, I've been through it a few times and played with some test backups
from primary clones. I just ditched my master/replica clone setup but I'll
test there as well. I just had a couple questions about the mechanics.

Don Seiler