On 04/13/2018 12:46 PM, James Keener wrote:
Is setting it as an environment variable an option? https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/libpq-envars.html

Alternatively, a service file? https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-pgservice.html

Jim

On April 13, 2018 2:43:01 PM EDT, David Gauthier <davegauthie...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi:

    PG v9.5.2 on RHEL

    I like to use an alias to connect to my favorite DBs but don't
    like to enter passwords.  I used to just disable passwords
    (working behind a firewall), but this one is different.  I see
    nothing in the interactive connect string where I can enter the
    password...

    psql -h thehost -U memyselfi mydb

    Missing something like "-p mypassword"

    Is there a way I can stick the pw in the linux alias definition ?

    Just thinking something like this may be available since hardcoded
    passwords are supported in perl/dbi, pg driver

    Thanks !

This is usually done in ~/.pgpass