> On Jan 10, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2016 10:44 AM, Regina Obe wrote:
>
>>> JD
>>
>> This may come as a big shock to many of you, but as a contributor
>> I don't care if you are racist, sexist, transphobic or whatever as long as
>> you
>
> I think this is reasonable but my point is that we don't care if you are
> sexist (in terms of .Org). We care if you allow your sexism to bleed into the
> community.
>
> In short, as long as you are professional and respectful, your personal
> beliefs may remain your own.

My problem with all of this is when there is a demand for no tolerance.  People
cannot comfortably live and work without some level of their essence (good or
bad) bleeding into their work.

I think Regina’s comment above is the most important comment I have read.  I
want to work with Regina, right attitude, right focus.  And if I did step over
the line and Regina felt the need to address the issue I would very very much
respect it.  This is the attitude that a code of conduct should project, not
all of the politically correct crap that is normally written.

It is important to protect the community from people who are on a mission to
rid the world (or the community) of all ass-holes, racists, sexists, etc.  That
is never going to happen and their personal hate trip and lack of tolerance
should not be in the community either. Certainly there is a line that should
not be crossed from both extremes, but we need to be tolerant while people are
learning and adapting so the gap between the two lines needs to be as wide as
possible.  The code of conduct IMO must address both extremes.

Honestly, I would rather work with someone that offended me every day than
someone that was so easily offended that I had to watch every word in our
communications.  In managing projects, my experience is that more often that
not, the people that focused on the style of the communications (politically
correct, pleasing words, etc.) and were easily offended by style of
communications had contributions that were much less valuable than people that
were neutral or rough around the edges.  The community will make more progress
if it can find a way to accept these ‘rough around the edges’ people, not
because they are rough, but because roughness does not degrade value except at
the extreme.  Often someone that is ‘rough around the edges’ has to be better
at their work to make up for it.  These are good people to keep around if
possible.

Neil