> On Apr 15, 2018, at 10:07, Christophe Pettus <x...@thebuild.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 15, 2018, at 09:51, David Arnold <dar@xoe.solutions> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Throughout this vivid discussion a good portion of support has already
>> been manifested for the need of a more structured (machine readable) logging
>> format. There has been no substantial objection to this need.
>
> I'm afraid I don't see that.  While it's true that as a standard, CSV is
> relatively ill-defined, as a practical matter in PostgreSQL it is very easy
> to write code that parses .csv format.

More specifically, JSON logging does seem to be a solution in search of a
problem.  PostgreSQL's CSV logs are very easy to machine-parse, and if there
are corrupt lines being emitted there, the first step should be to fix those,
rather than introduce a new "this time, for sure" logging method.

It's a matter of a few lines of code to convert CSV logs to a JSON format, if
you need JSON format for something else.

Remember, also, that every new logging format introduces a burden on downstream
tools to support it.  This is (still) an issue with JSON format plans, which
had a much more compelling advantage over standard-format plans than JSON logs
do over CSV.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com