On 12/07/18 12:06, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:26:30AM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
It seems that all implementations can support tls-server-end-point, after
all, so I'm not too worried about this anymore. The spec says that it's the
default, but I don't actually see any advantage to using it over
tls-server-end-point. I think the main reason for tls-unique to exist is
that it doesn't require the server to have a TLS certificate, but PostgreSQL
requires that anyway.

Er.  My memories about the spec are a bit different: tls-unique must be
implemented and is the default.

[ ... digging ... ]

Here you go:

Meh. We're not going implement tls-unique, anyway, in some of the upcoming non-OpenSSL TLS implementations that don't support it.

Hmm. That is actually in a section called "Default Channel Binding". And the first paragraph says "A default channel binding type agreement process for all SASL application protocols that do not provide their own channel binding type agreement is provided as follows". Given that, it's not entirely clear to me if the requirement to support tls-unique is for all implementations of SCRAM, or only those applications that don't provide their own channel binding type agreement.

- Heikki