Hello Peter,

"""
Pgbench is expected to work with all PostgreSQL supported versions at
the time it is released. Some options may work only with newer servers. It
may work with older version down to 8.2.
"""

It is generally expected (nowadays) that client programs work
independent of the server version, unless restrictions are specifically
documented (e.g., pg_dump) or there is some obvious feature dependency
(e.g., unlogged tables).

Yep, that is somehow what I said in the mail.

So the above paragraph does not add any useful information.

It tells that it will not work from 8.1 and below.

Also, I don't find any reason why 8.2 is the cutoff, and saying that it may work down to 8.2 (implying that it may not) is content-free.

The "may" is because I could *not* test: I could not run a 8.2 on my laptop, "initdb" fails on:

 creating template1 database in <...>/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/data/base/1
... ok
 initializing pg_authid ... FATAL:  wrong number of index expressions
 STATEMENT:  CREATE TRIGGER pg_sync_pg_database   AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE OR
DELETE ON pg_database   FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE
flatfile_update_trigger();

So I did not feel confident in saying that it would work for 8.2. That is just me being precise:-)

As explained in the previous mail, pgbench "CREATE TABLE" always uses "FILLFACTOR" which was introduced in 8.2, so it is sure to fail before that.

What about:

"""
Pgbench requires a PostgreSQL version 8.2 or above server.
"""

Some information is provided...

I understood that Tom found that an explicit compatibility note would be welcome, so I provided one. I'm also fine with saying nothing.

--
Fabien.