The "may" is because I could *not* test:

Works for me with 8.2.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Earlier branches fail immediately: dropping old tables... ERROR: syntax error at or near "exists" LINE 1: drop table if exists pgbench_accounts, pgbench_branches, pgb...
                     ^

Ok, even before the create table with a fillfactor.

We could probably fix that if anyone cared, but I doubt anyone does.

Indeed, if people needed using a new pgbench against a that old server, they would have complained.

The point was just to document the current status of pgbench compatibility, and 8.2 onward is the answer.

--
Fabien.