On 2020-Mar-30, James Coleman wrote:

> +/* ----------------
> + *    Instruementation information for IncrementalSort
> + * ----------------
> + */
> +typedef struct IncrementalSortGroupInfo
> +{
> +     int64           groupCount;
> +     long            maxDiskSpaceUsed;
> +     long            totalDiskSpaceUsed;
> +     long            maxMemorySpaceUsed;
> +     long            totalMemorySpaceUsed;
> +     Size            sortMethods; /* bitmask of TuplesortMethod */
> +} IncrementalSortGroupInfo;

There's a typo "Instruementation" in the comment, but I'm more surprised
that type Size is being used to store a bitmask.  It looks weird to me.
Wouldn't it be more reasonable to use bits32 or some such?  (I first
noticed this in the "sizeof(Size)" code that appears in the explain
code.)

OTOH, aesthetically it would seem to be better to define these values
using ones and increasing shifts (1 << 1 and so on), rather than powers
of two:

> + * TuplesortMethod is used in a bitmask in Increment Sort's shared memory
> + * instrumentation so needs to have each value be a separate bit.
>   */
>  typedef enum
>  {
>       SORT_TYPE_STILL_IN_PROGRESS = 0,
> -     SORT_TYPE_TOP_N_HEAPSORT,
> -     SORT_TYPE_QUICKSORT,
> -     SORT_TYPE_EXTERNAL_SORT,
> -     SORT_TYPE_EXTERNAL_MERGE
> +     SORT_TYPE_TOP_N_HEAPSORT = 2,
> +     SORT_TYPE_QUICKSORT = 4,
> +     SORT_TYPE_EXTERNAL_SORT = 8,
> +     SORT_TYPE_EXTERNAL_MERGE = 16
>  } TuplesortMethod;

I don't quite understand why you skipped "1".  (Also, is the use of zero
a wise choice?)