James Coleman <jtc...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 10:12 AM James Coleman <jtc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One thing I just noticed and had a question about: in
>> preparePresortedCols (which sets up a function call context), do we
>> need to call pg_proc_aclcheck?

> Background: this came up because I noticed that pg_proc_aclcheck is
> called in the scalar array op case in execExpr.c.

> However grepping through the source code I see several places where a
> function (including an equality op for an ordering op, like the case
> we have here) gets looked up without calling pg_proc_aclcheck, but
> then other places where the acl check is invoked.

Rule of thumb is that we don't apply ACL checks to functions/ops
we get out of an opclass; adding a function to an opclass is tantamount
to giving public execute permission on it.  If the function/operator
reference came directly from the SQL query it must be checked.

> In addition, I haven't been able to discern a reason for why sometimes
> InvokeFunctionExecuteHook gets called with the function after lookup,
> but not others.

I would not stand here and say that that hook infrastructure is worth
anything at all.  Maybe the coverage is sufficient for some use-cases,
but who's to say?

                        regards, tom lane