On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:02 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.von...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 04:08:39PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 09:54:42AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:

> >>Looking at the tests that failed, I think we should consider just adding:
> >>set enable_sort = off;
> >>because several of those tests have very specific amounts of data to
> >>ensure we test the transition points around the different modes in the
> >>incremental sort node.
> >>

> >Maybe, but I'd much rather tweak the data so that we test both the
> >costing and execution part.
> >

> I do think this does the trick by increasing the number of rows a bit
> (from 100 to 1000) to make the Sort more expensive than Incremental
> Sort, while still testing the transition points.
>
> James, can you verify it that's still true?

Those changes all look good to me from a "testing correctness" POV.
Also I like that we now test multiple sort methods in the explain
output, like: "Sort Methods: top-N heapsort, quicksort".

I personally find the `i/100` notation harder to read than a case, but
that's just an opinion...

Should we change `analyze` to `analyze t` to avoid unnecessarily
re-analyzing all other tables in the regression db?

James