On 11/06/21 2:48 am, Isaac Morland wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 at 10:43, David Rowley <dgrowle...@gmail.com <mailto:dgrowle...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    -      requires an MIT Kerberos installation and opens TCP/IP
    listen sockets.
    +       requires a MIT Kerberos installation and opens TCP/IP
    listen sockets.

    I think all of these should use "a" rather than "an".

“A MIT …”? As far as I know it is pronounced M - I - T, which would imply that it should use “an”. The following page seems believable and is pretty unequivocal on the issue:

https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/como_se_dice/ <https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/como_se_dice/>

The rule is, in English, is that if the word sounds like it starts with a vowel then use 'an' rather than 'a'.  Though some people think that the rule only applies to words beginning with a vowel, which is a misunderstanding.

So 'an SQL' and 'an MIT'  are correct.   IMHO

Cheers,
Gavin