On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > The idea behind the load average based approach is
> > to make the postmaster respect the situation of the overall system.
>
> That'd be great if we could do it, but as I pointed out, the available
> stats do not allow us to do it very well.
>
> I think this will create a lot of portability headaches for no real
> gain.  If it were something we could just do and forget, I would not
> object --- but the porting issues will create a LOT more work than
> I think this can possibly be worth.  The fact that the work is
> distributed and will mostly be incurred by people other than the ones
> advocating the change doesn't improve matters.

As I mentioned, getloadavg() appears to be support on 3 of the primary
platforms we work with, so I'd say for most installations, portability
issues aren't an issue ...

Autoconf has a 'LOADAVG' check already, so what is so problematic about
using that to enabled/disable that feature?

If ( loadavg available on OS  &&  enabled in postgresql.conf )
  operate on it
} else ( loadavg not available on OS  && enabled )
  noop with a WARN level error that its not available
}