On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:17:13PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 10/26/07, I wrote:
> > On 10/26/07, Magnus Hagander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Can you try the attached patch? See how many backends you can get up to.
> > >
> > > This patch changes from using a single thread for each backend started to
> > > using the builtin threadpool functionality. It also replaces the
> > > pid/handle
> > > arrays with an i/o completion port. The net result is also, imho, much
> > > more
> > > readable code :-)
> >
> > The patch looks good; I'm not set up to build yet, but I should be
> > able to test it sometime in the next week.
>
> Sorry about the long delay; I retested with the 8.3-beta2 installer,
> still Win2003 SP2 32bit.
>
> I stopped the test at 824 connections because I was about to run out
> of memory (1.25GB RAM + 3.75GB swap), but postmaster VM space usage
> was only 191MB.

Great.
I'm thinking this change may be big enough to actually backport to 8.2 -
what to others feel about that?

Assuming it is, I still think we should wait at least until we've run 8.3
RC for a while - probably until 8.3 has been actually released and run for
a while, to make sure we have a *lot* of testing of it before we consider
backpatching.

> As for desktop heap, only 65KB of the service heap was allocated, or
> about 80 bytes per connection.  No danger of hitting limits in the
> kernel memory pools either.

As Dave said, it could be that the server version uses a lot less heap per
process, which would be another good reason to use server rather than XP to
run postgresql. But might there also be other differences, such as some
third party (or non-core microsoft) product installed?

Dave, on your XP test, was that on a clean XP with nothing like AV or any
3rd party stuff on it?

> Available RAM seems like a pretty reasonable limit to me ;)

Yeah, not much we can do about that one :-)

//Magnus

               http://archives.postgresql.org