On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 09:49:38AM +0100, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> Most people, as you probably know, don't like JS as a language 'cause they
> think of it as a "web-browser language with lots of bad side-effects", but
> that's 'cause they don't know the language, really.

Javascript is a very nice little language.  There are a few weirdos (the
treatment of NULLs I noted before being one of them) but amazingly few
of them considering that's it's a scripting language.

I think it's had some amazingly good effects hasn't it?  There all sort
of cool things happening in web browsers (quite a few of them shouldn't
happen there, but that's beside the point) that build on Javascript.
I'd love to see something like Caja[1] actually getting somewhere---I
have a lot of respect for the people behind it and it would be very cool
if it managed to break into the mainstream at some point.

Some of you may have heard my rants (mainly on #postgresql) about
object-capability security.  It's from there that I thought it would be
good to have spi come in through a parameter, if you have subscripts
that you don't want to touch your database then just don't pass them
a reference to the spi object and they won't be able to.  Likewise,
IMMUTABLE functions probably shouldn't get the spi parameter in the
first place.

> JS actually has some nice
> programming concepts and being able to use it as an SP seems pretty
> attractive. Keep up the good work!

SP?

I hope my code will get useful some point soon.

  Sam

 [1] http://code.google.com/p/google-caja/

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster