"Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Yeah, that... is beyond my abilities. Well reading it is anyway. I can
> provide any information people want though. Tom? Greg? Andrew? Somebody?
> What information do you want from me to help you track this down?

The vmstat output you showed before said user CPU time was only around
12%, which seems to destroy Luke's thesis that data conversion time
is the problem.  IIRC we were speculating that data was being written
in a pattern that required a lot of seeking thus ruining throughput,
but we didn't have any hard evidence of that.  Did you do the strace'ing
I suggested?

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend