"Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> IIRC we were speculating that data was being written
>> in a pattern that required a lot of seeking thus ruining throughput,
>> but we didn't have any hard evidence of that.  Did you do the
>> strace'ing I suggested?

> Yes, I asked if you wanted counts or the whole output. You didn't
> answer :). I provided the counts.

Uh, sorry.  Counts are useless here, we need to see the sequence of
write locations to find out if there's a lot of nonconsecutive
writes happening.  BTW, the strace had better run across the whole
PG process tree --- it's quite possible that there's some interaction
between the bgwriter and the backend doing COPY, for instance.