Mark,

Not that I disagree with your change, but < 5 Mbytes in 4 Gbytes of RAM for my main PostgreSQL system that I manage seems like a drop in the bucket. Even if 40% of pg_class_relname and pg_proc_proname indices was saved - we're talking about 154 Kbytes saved on both those indices combined. Minor? Major? I bet I wouldn't notice unless my database requirements used up all RAM, and even then I'm suspecting it wouldn't matter except for border line cases (like all pages required for everything else happened to equal 4 Gbytes near exactly).

Again, I think the best way to test this would be to create an installation with more than 100,000 tables & views. That's not hypothetical; I've encountered it already twice in production users.

--Josh Berkus