Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Nov 2008, at 06:57, "Joshua D. Drake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Josh Berkus wrote:
Tom, Robert, Simon,
What, are people just on edge because of the US election?
It looks to me like the commitfest system is going really well. Of course, we'll see how long it takes to close out 8.4. But I think we're in much better shape than we were for 8.3. We're even in better shape to reject things.

I have to agree with Berkus here. Compared to how we used to do things, this is

Yeah, another +1 from here. As I see it we have:

- Given developers timely feedback throughout the cycle, so no one has had to wait 6 months+.

- Committed new patches in a timely fashion, avoidind bit rot of those and subsequent patches they affect.

- Significantly reduced the amount of work we would have previously seen at feature freeze.

I would also note that this last commit fest is really feature freeze, and should be treated as such. That means that it's the cut off point for new features which are essentially ready, not that code must be 100% complete and tested. I doubt there are many big patches that haven't require work after freeze.

For future clarity, perhaps we should have a feature freeze point, followed a 'polishing freeze' by which time the submitter must finish pre-review cleanups and last minute fixes.

/D