Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> This is not something we would typically backpatch because of the danger
>>> of introducing some unexpected change in libpq.  We can provide a patch
>>> to anyone who needs it, or if the community wants it backpatched I can
>>> certainly do that.

If we start deciding we are not backpatching fixes that we know cause
crashes, where is the limit?

>> It isn't?  It does seem like a bug, which we do typically backpatch ...
>>

> Well, it's a risk-reward tradeoff.  In this case it seems like there's
> a nontrivial risk of creating new bugs against fixing a problem that
> evidently affects very few people.  I concur with Bruce's feeling that
> we shouldn't backpatch ... at least not now.  Once the patch has been
> through beta testing we could reconsider.
>
>                       regards, tom lane

I would like to see this backpatched.  Even though the PostgreSQL
community hasn't seen a lot of complaints, there have been a number of
reports where the bug has caused crashes.  Ubuntu launchpad has 6
duplicates for this bug.  php has a bug report for it.  So it's not like
people don't know about it.  They just didn't know how to fix it.  All
that said, I agree it's safer to wait until the 8.4 beta cycle has given
this code change a good run before proceeding.  In the mean time
distributions can either backpatch it themselves or wait for PostgreSQL
community to apply the patch.

For the environment where I have this problem, I think it's still going
to be a up hill battle to get RedHat to incorporate the fix into RHEL5.
That's whichever route the community takes with backpatching.

Russell.