On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
>> My understanding is that this patch will need to be reworked as well
>> based on Tom's comments on "DefaultACLs".  Does that sound right?
>> Should we expect a new version this week, or defer this until the
>> September CommitFest?
>
> I was planning to go review that patch too, even though it's presumably
> not committable yet.

OK, that's good information, thanks.

> I'm not sure whether there is consensus on not using GRANT ON VIEW
> (ie, having these patches treat tables and views alike).  I was waiting
> to see if Stephen would put forward a convincing counterargument ...

The argument is better for defaults that it is for grant on all, I
think, though we also don't want the two to be asymmetric.  Defaults
need to be really simple to have any value, I think, and avoid
violating the POLA.  But bulk-grant could be based on object type,
object name (with wildcard or regexp pattern), schema membership, or
maybe other things, and I think that would be quite useful if we can
figure out how to make it clean and elegant.

...Robert