On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Dave Page <dp...@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvhe...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>>> I had a look at this some time ago and I must admit that I find it
>>> pretty interesting.  The technology choices make it
>>> obviously impossible to merge -- not only the particular Perl modules
>>> used, but the mere fact that Perl is used (and that such a recent
>>> version is required).  But you're already aware of all this so I'm not
>>> going to say more.
>>
>> Really?  Perl is a show-stopper?  That seems harsh.  Perl is pretty
>> ubiquitous - in fact, given that we now support Windows, arguably more
>> so than awk.
>
> Building in VC++ on Windows already requires Perl. And if you're
> building in mingw, you've probably already got it, or can get it
> pretty easily.

Yep, it's only on UNIX-ish systems where Perl isn't necessarily
required, and realistically I think it is probably present on nearly
all of those, too.  We can even include the autogenerated files in
make distprep so that it's only required for development, not to
compile a release tarball.

...Robert