On Dec 8, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Greg Smith <g...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

Robert Haas wrote:
I could live with the equals signs, but the use of parentheses seems
weird and inconsistent with normal english usage (which permits
parentheses as a means of making parenthetical comments).
But it is consistent with people seeing:

Seq Scan on foo (cost=0.00..155.00 rows=10000 width=4)

Which seems to be what was being emulated here. I though that was pretty reasonable given this is a related feature.

It's not the same at all. The essence of a parenthetical phrase is that it can be omitted without turning what's left into nonsense - and in fact we have COSTS OFF, which does just that. Omitting only the parenthesized portions of the proposed output would not be sensible.

...Robert