* Josh Berkus (j...@agliodbs.com) wrote:
> What I'm getting from your e-mail, Dave, is "If it doesn't solve all
> problems for everyone in the world from Day 1, it's not worth doing."
> It's my experience that the way to get OSS software that works is to
> build a little bit at a time, each delivery of which is useful to some
> people and solves some problems.  Projects which attempt to paint the
> whole world never get anywhere.

+1 from me.  I was just discussing this with some other folks at my
company and had to make the point that if all you do is show the CEO a
big fat $ figure, he's gonna say no.  If you actually want to make it
happen, you have to show a progression to get there from where we are
today, with the incremental costs required along the way and the
functionality that you get for that.

> David's proposal is designed to be something which he can get done *this
> year*, possibly before 8.5 is released, and be built on later.  It'll be
> useful to a substantial number of our users, and will be an improvement
> on what we have now.

Sounds excellent to me.

        Thanks,

                Stephen