On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On lör, 2010-01-09 at 17:12 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Oh.  Never mind.  That doesn't seem useful enough to be worth spending
>> time on.  What I want is to ignore all of the build products, so that
>> when I do 'git status' in my working tree, I only see the the files
>> I've actually added/changed.
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to just build the master branch once and then
> take the result of git status to produce the list of files to be
> ignored?  That should reduce the maintenance effort.

Oh, for sure.  That's what I would do, although I would say we should
ignore *.o in the relevant directories rather than listing out the
individual files.  But if Tom only wants the things that remain after
'make distclean' to be ignored, then it's not actually going to solve
any problem that I have, because, as mentioned upthread, I use
'git-clean -dfx' to clean my tree.  What I'm interested in is being
able to run 'git status' on a tree in which I've run a build without
getting a lot of extra output, and that will require ignoring all the
build products.

...Robert