Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Robert Haas escribió:
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> wrote:

What ever happened to this patch?
I think it's unclear that all of the best and worst cases have been
sufficiently tested and that the results are satisfactory.  We have
everything from massive performance gains to no obvious benefit at
all, and it's very unclear that anyone has made a serious effort to
find a benchmark the worst-case scenarios.  I think we should drop
this for now.  *If* someone wants to put some work into more thorough
analysis for 9.1, we can revisit it then.

+1 -- it's not like it hasn't been a problem all along.

hmm I tend to disagree, this patch was specifically done to address a hotspot I noticed under a given workload and it helped a lot for that workload(like getting 6000qps more is pretty neat imho). While people might not use fixed width chars that often(which especially for migrated database is imho not true) it is an issue that can be seen with a rather popular database related benchmarking tool so we should not really dismiss it easily.

Stefan