On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Charles Pritchard <ch...@jumis.com> writes:
>> I'd originally sent this to Joseph Adams, as he has been working on
>> adding a JSON datatype.
>> I've suggested supporting BSON, as there are many client implementations
>> available,
>
> I knew there would be a lot of critters crawling out as soon as we
> turned over this rock.  Which other data-formats-of-the-week shall
> we immortalize as core PG types?

PER-encoded ASN.1, for when you really need something human-readable?  :-)

I think JSON is a reasonable choice for a core datatype; we don't
really have anything else with the same functionality.  But I'm not
really in favor of adding any more, especially things like YAML and
BSON that are essentially variants of JSON.  Which is not to say I
woudn't like to have those available, making the unproven assumption
that someone wants to write the code, but I don't really see why they
should be in core.  My theory is that XML and JSON are the big two,
and so far I haven't seen much evidence to the contrary.

JSON also has the advantage, as compared with XML and in general, of
being relatively simple and single-purpose.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company